The Ukimido, the "floating temple hall" at Mangetsuji Temple, is famous for being featured in one of the Eight Views of Omi, "wild geese returning home at Katata." The current structure is a recreation that was erected in 1937, and then underwent repairs in 1982, yet it fully retains the atmosphere of the original construction. The Kannondo in the temple grounds also contains an Important Cultural Property in the form of a statue of Sho Kannon.
During the Heian period (794 - 1185) the monk Genshin (also Enshin Sozu), looking down from Mt. Hieizan, saw a suspicious light in Lake Biwa every night. Finally checking that place using a net, he scooped up a glowing golden Amida Butsu. In memorial of this he carved 1000 Buddha statues and created the Ukimido to house them in the middle of the lake. It became a place of prayer for safety on the lake and the swift rescue of those in danger, and such faith concerning water still protects the region to this day.
|Address||1-16-18 Honkatata, Otsu City, Shiga|
|Opening Hours||8:00 - 17:00|
|Access||JR Kosei Line Katata Station by bus
7 min. on foot after alighting at the "Demachi" bus stop
If you check both Wi-Fi spots and Tax free, this pin will be displayed in spots that have both.
Recommended Spots Related to this Spot